Best System, Trained Applicator, Yet Basements are Leaking.
HDPE Membranes are specialized in waterproofing and protecting basement structures from deterioration, ensuring the interior remains suitable for use. They also offer excellent corrosion resistance by safeguarding concrete from aggressive ground salts and chemicals. To achieve their purpose effectively, proper substrate conditions, installation procedures, and concrete placement must be followed according to the manufacturer’s specifications.
Given the intricacies involved in the installation process, it requires a highly skilled execution team. However, despite having trained and experienced applicators, there have been instances of basement waterproofing systems with HDPE membranes experiencing leakage issues after construction.
Upon careful analysis of on-site experiences, it became evident that if certain critical points were not given due consideration, it could lead to a higher likelihood of system failure.
Let’s explore the major causes for HDPE system failure in basement waterproofing:
1) Use of expired material: It is imperative to check the expiry date while purchasing HDPE membranes. Expired materials may lose their intended properties and effectiveness.
2) Material damage after installation by other agencies: Inadequate protection of the HDPE membrane during and after installation by other parties can lead to leakages.
3) Lack of proper binding between HDPE membrane and poured concrete: Undesirable delays or gaps between membrane installation and concrete casting can result in poor bonding.
4) Insufficient load of poured concrete: When the poured concrete does not provide enough pressure on the HDPE membrane, it may fail to create a strong bond.
5) Displacement of HDPE membrane during concrete casting: On larger sites, especially with vertical surfaces, displacement of the membrane can occur during concrete pouring, leading to irreversible damage in certain areas with no membrane coverage.
6) Overlaps/End laps failure: If the overlap bond does not gain sufficient strength before exposure to water and other contaminants, it can result in failure.
7) Overlap failure due to excessive stress: Unsound shuttering and uneven substrate can cause excessive stress at overlaps, compromising the waterproofing integrity.
8) Improper or incompatible materials used for detailing: The use of inadequate materials during the installation process can lead to system failure.
9) Poor construction planning on site: Lack of proper planning and adherence to installation guidelines can compromise the effectiveness of the waterproofing system.
Despite choosing the best system and having a trained applicator, these scenarios can still result in a leaking basement. While the list of considerations is extensive, we have highlighted the major ones in this article for your awareness.
“Creating a waterproof foundation that remains free from leaks demands more than just quality materials and skilled applicators; it necessitates a thorough focus on every aspect of the installation process, leaving no room for oversight.”
Note: WrapPro India is equipped with the experience and technical knowledge to ensure that all these aspects are carefully considered right from the start. We are committed to providing true value to our clients, which translates to a leak-free structure and a worry-free service warranty. This dedication drives our motivation to excel in our service, with a strong focus on delivering value to our clients.